Pages

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Ilona - Best Video for ‘It’s 1966’



1. Who are your musical influences and what inspires you to create?
My main musical influences are artists I admire such as Sade, Phil Collins, Dianne Warwick, Seal and Jeff Buckley. I find their music so universal and personal at the same time, a combination I aim to stick to when I create music. I'm inspired by people and situations I observe, emotions, places I revisit... it often comes from a place I don't understand.

2. What is your opinion on the current state of the music industry and what are the pros/cons of being an independent artist?
The music industry today is changing more than ever. In a time when artists can be self-sufficient and have the freedom to create and promote without the necessary help of a major label, being independent is a blessing. Recording, producing and releasing my debut EP has been possible whilst still being unsigned, and online promotion has meant I've been able to show my music to thousands of new fans. The cons can be from a financial perspective, and it may take much longer for an artist to break through without a publishing deal, for instance.

3. If you could spend an hour with any musician, living or dead, who would it be, and why?
I would spend an hour with 30 Seconds to Mars, a band which I've loved for a few years now. Their live performances remind me of the energy and magnetism Pink Floyd have on stage... I've managed to get through my stage fright when I started out by watching both bands' live shows.

4. What are your aspirations for 2013 and beyond?
For 2013 I aspire to bring out a successful debut album, tour as much as possible and collaborate with exciting new artists. Ultimately, the aim is to be happy and proud of the music I make, and bring happiness to those who listen to it.

5. How do you feel to have won a LadyLake Indie Award?
I'm thrilled and excited to have won the Best Video award! It came unexpectedly and has made a big difference to my fanbase, it's gratifying to have my work acknowledged in this way. I'm very grateful to Ladylake Music for ensuring the voices of independent artists are heard globally, it's a great achievement.

For more information, please visit the following links:

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ilonatmusic
YouTube: www.youtube.com/ilonatmusic
Facebook: www.facebook.com/ilonaartist
Website: www.ilonamusic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment